All humans deserve an equal opportunity to live, learn, participate and contribute. Long-term inequality, however, often begins with disparity of opportunity. At the Jeff T. Green Family Foundation, we apply data science to understand key moments where innovative interventions might remove obstacles to opportunity. Our initiatives are measurable, provable, and ultimately scalable, helping us move from trials to large-scale programs rapidly and with high impact, engaging a broad and active group of supporters and stakeholders.
ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
Jeff Green is the Co-Founder and CEO of The Trade Desk, a digital advertising pioneer and one of the most successful tech companies of the 21st Century.
Jeff’s success as a serial entrepreneur has been based on the application of data – both understanding how data can be applied to rethink time-honored business models and processes, as well as using data to figure out where market inefficiencies exist.
With the Jeff T. Green Family Foundation, Jeff and his team are bringing that same approach to understanding and addressing economic disparity. The Jeff T. Green Family Foundation believes that long-term inequality has many roots in disparity of opportunity. By applying data to those disparities, particularly in key formative areas such as education, the Jeff T. Green Family Foundation intends to build successful, action-oriented and repeatable programs that help remove barriers to opportunity.
The Jeff T. Green Family Foundation will initiate, invest in and fundraise for programs that are verifiable with data, easily scalable and repeatable, and drive large scale activation and engagement.
For example, in 2019 Jeff started collaborating with Cal State Channel Islands to understand why students, especially minority students, dropped out prior to graduation. Data suggested that a single drop/fail/withdrawal grade as a freshman dropped the graduation odds to 60%. Two such grades dropped the odds to 40%. To address this, Jeff invested in a pilot freshman intervention program, enabling successful upper classmen to mentor freshmen students to avoid those problematic grades. As a result, the school has seen a double-digit increase in graduation rates among mentors and mentees. In 2020, The Jeff T. Green Family Foundation increased its investment to scale this program across Cal State Channel Islands.
“Our work with Cal State bears all the hallmarks of a successful program for the Jeff T. Green Family Foundation. We were able to understand the root cause of an issue with data. We were able to build a pilot program the success or failure of which was testable; the program actively engaged participants and stakeholders in its success; and we’re able to take the data and the learnings to expand and repeat the program without massive overhead. With this approach I believe we can maximize our resources, our people and the enthusiasm of our supporters and have a significant impact on the disparity of opportunity that plays such a major part in the inequalities in our society today.”
– Jeff Green